Caregiving Strategies is a free online course offered by the Regional Geriatric Programs of Ontario (RGPO).
The course focuses on improving your skills, knowledge, and confidence as a family member or friend caring for a person living with frailty.
The goal of this course is for you to learn about and develop personalized strategies that you can apply to your caregiving.
Who is the Caregiving Strategies course for?
The Caregiving Strategies course is for all caregivers (family members, friends, spouses, community members) who provide care and support for a senior living with frailty. This course will guide you on a learning journey to gain knowledge, practical strategies, and confidence.
What will you learn in the course?
This course offers diverse learning materials, relevant readings, videos, engaging activities, and opportunities to connect with other caregivers through online discussion groups.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Access resources that meet your caregiving needs related to the topics.
- Develop confidence in your approach and skills as a caregiver, for both the present and future needs of the person in your care.
- Access an online network of other caregivers, with whom you can discuss health and social topics applicable to your caregiving journey.
What are caregivers saying about this course?
Here are a few examples of what caregivers have told us after taking the Caregiving Strategies online course:
- “There is no question that I feel like a better caregiver now that I’ve taken this course.”
- “I felt supported by the online community from the participants in this course.”
- “The course materials were all excellent reminder of all the different facets that go into caregiving.”
- “I really enjoyed this course. I found it very helpful. I now feel comfortable knowing that there are a lot of resources that I can refer to if needed.”
- “This course has been full of wonderful resources!”
How long is the course?
Caregiving Strategies is an eight-week course that should take approximately 7.5 hours total to complete.
That means that each module should take you about one hour to complete. While you are encouraged to work at your own pace, aim to complete one module per week.
Is the course always open for registration?
Yes. You can register for the course at any time. The course begins and ends on predetermined dates, so depending on when you register, you may go directly to the course, or be placed on a waiting list.
Who is facilitating the course?
Our online course is facilitated by selected experts from across Ontario. These experts could be nurses, geriatric specialists, counsellors, or caregivers with previous experience with online course moderation. The course outline is sent to you after you register and this includes all the details about your facilitator.
If you’re interested in signing up for our next course offering, follow these five easy steps.
- Click here to register for the course.
- Find the Caregiving Strategies box on the course catalogue page and click “View Details”.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Buy Now” (This course is offered free. Don’t worry– you will not be charged).
- Click “Create Account” to register for the course. You’ll need to provide your name, email address and password.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions.
For more details about the registration process, click here to download a step by step instruction guide or watch the video.
You will receive an email from “OpenCoursesSupport”, including the link to access the course. Consider bookmarking the course page so you can return to it easily. If you have not saved your password in your browser, you will be asked to log in with the email address and password that you created when you first registered.
If you’re not ready to commit to the course right now, you can sign-up below to receive updates from RGPO.
Is this your first experience with online learning?
If you have any questions regarding how to navigate the course or want tips on how to optimize your experience with Brightspace, please watch the tutorial videos.