Caregivers are family members, partners, friends or neighbours who provide personal, social, physical, and psychological support to someone in need, without getting paid.
The Caring for the Caregiver chapter explores the following topics:
- Caregiver wellness.
- Discovering your strengths as a caregiver.
- Strategies for wellness.
- How to find support and get connected to caregiving support and resources.
- A resources list to support you throughout your caregiving journey.
Maintaining Health and Wellness
Caregivers may experience stress that can impact their health. It is important to recognize when you, the caregiver, are feeling this way. Identifying and talking about stress are the first steps to feeling better.
The following are some common warning signs of stress. Do any of these statements sound familiar to you?:
- “I am not sleeping well.”
- “I have no time for myself. ”
- “I don’t have any time to socialize.”
- “I feel guilty if I don’t meet my own expectations.”
- “I have not left home in a long time.”
- “I argue a lot more.”
- “I am worried about money.”
- “I don’t know what I am doing.”
- “I am not doing a good enough job as a caregiver.”
- “I am sick all the time. ”
- “I am at the end of my rope.”
If one or more of these statements sound familiar, you may be experiencing caregiver stress.
Resources to Support Caregiver Health And Wellness
The Ontario Caregiver Organization Quiz encourages reflection on how you are feeling about the level of stress in your life.Take the Quiz!
The Ontario Caregiver Organization Checklist guides you in identifying and assessing your caregiving responsibilities and prioritizes areas where you may need support.Caregiver Checklist
Caregiver Strengths Activity to identify your strengths and help you be better able to strengthen your social network and prioritize self-care as part of your caregiving practiceDownload the Caregiver Strengths Activity
The Caring for the Caregiver Chapter lists resources, organizations, associations, and caregiver communities where you can connect and get support from health care professionals and caregivers.Download Caring for the Caregiver Chapter
- Download the Caregiving Strategies Handbook for reference to all chapters in one location.
- If you want to learn more Caregiving Strategies, register for the online course. This course allows you to work through these topics at your own pace alongside other caregivers.
- Sign up below if you would like to receive updates from RGPO about resources for caregivers and or upcoming online course offerings.