Managing medications is an important part of caregiving that can be challenging.
There can be a lot to organize:
- Monitoring the timing of when medications are taken
- What needs to be taken with medication (food, other meds, etc.)
- Being aware of possible side effects
The Medication Management Chapter explores the following topics:
- How to manage medications when there are multiple caregivers
- Assisting the person you care for to take their medications safely
- Instructions and organization techniques to support independence and compliance
- What to do if the person you care for says ‘no’ to their medications
- How to support a person living with dementia to take their medications
- Alternatives to medications
- Myths about medication use
- Tips for talking to health care providers about medication management
- How to find additional support for you and the person you care for
Throughout the Medication Management Chapter, we’ll explore the following terms:
|Polypharmacy||A medical term that describes taking many medications including prescribed and/or over-the-counter and herbal/supplemental products.|
|The use of non-mainstream approaches instead of traditional Western medicine.|
|The use of non-mainstream approaches along with traditional Western medicine.|
|Many different approaches to health, healing and symptom management. Some examples include: yoga, deep breathing, meditation, massage, acupuncture, art and music therapy, and more.|
Resources to Support Medication Management
The Medication Chart Template is a form to write down all the medications in one place to manage medications and to communicate with health care providers.Download the Medication Chart Template
5 Questions to Ask About Your Medications is a poster with five questions to ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about your medications.Download Five Questions to Ask About Your Medications
The Medication Management Chapter lists additional information, tips, and resources on how to find additional support and communicate with health care professionals.Download the Medication Management Chapter
- Download the Caregiving Strategies Handbook for reference to all chapters in one location.
- If you want to learn more Caregiving Strategies, register for the online course. This course allows you to work through these topics at your own pace alongside other caregivers.
- Sign up below if you would like to receive updates from RGPO about resources for caregivers and or upcoming online course offerings.