Held September 25, 2020, the Provincial Geriatrics Leadership Office (PGLO) hosted this international event, convening a wide range of experts and reviewing evidence briefs and experience from around the world to inform future planning in Long Term Care and Older Person’s Care.
View a video recording of this event here
Note: The views and opinions expressed in these presentations are those of the authors and presenters and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Provincial Geriatrics Leadership Office or its collaborating partners.
The Built Environment – Go Big, Go Small or Stay home?
In this session, panelists highlighted emerging data and experiences that raise important questions about the kind of physical infrastructure needed for long term older adult care.
Session Chair: Dr. Sophiya Benjamin, MBBS, FRCP(C), DABPN, Co-Medical Director – Geriatric Psychiatry, Provincial Geriatrics Leadership Office, Ontario, Canada
- Dr. Andrew Costa, PhD Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Schlegel Chair in Clinical Epidemiology and Aging, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
- Dr. Vince Mor, PhD, Florence Pirce Grant Professor of Health Services, Policy & Practice, School of Public Health, Center for Gerontology and Healthcare Research, Brown University, Rhode Island, USA
- Dr. David Grabowski, PhD, Professor of Health Care Policy, Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts, USA
Public Health versus Individual Health – Striking a Balance
In this session panelists shared experiences from several countries and reflect on the challenges of balancing public health priorities and individual physical and mental health, including the impact of visitor restrictions.
Session Chair: Dr. Anja Declercq, PhD, LUCAS – Centre for Care Research and Consultancy & CESO – Center for Sociological Research, Ku Leuven University, Belgium
- Dr. Terry Yat Sang Lum, BSoSci, MSW, PhD, Director, Sau Po Centre on Ageing, The University of Hong Kong
- Dr. Hein van Hout, PhD, Professor in primary care for older persons, Amsterdam University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Dr. Graziano Onder, Geriatrician, PhD, Istituto Superiore di Sanità – Italian National Institute of Health, Rome, Italy
Staffing and Care models
Panelists described models from the perspective of different health professions and jurisdictions and stimulate dialogue about health human resource models in long term care.
Session Chair: Dr. Leon Geffen, MBChB FCFP(SA), Family Physician and Honorary Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Dr. Veronique Boscart, RN, PhD, Executive Dean, School of Health & Life Sciences, Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning. Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Dr. Andrea Moser, MD, MSc, CCFP, FCFP, Family Physician and Assistant Professor, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Mr. Greg Shaw, BSc, Director, International and Corporate Relations, International Federation on Ageing, Ontario, Canada
View Full Speakers and Panel Chair biographies (click here)
In addition to confirmed speakers, we invite those interested to submit abstracts (max. 500 words) related to any of the topics above. All presentations and accepted abstracts will be featured in proceedings, intended to be published post meeting. Abstracts can be submitted by October 9 to email@example.com and will be reviewed prior to acceptance.