As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, there was a rapid shift to utilizing virtual modalities within Specialized Geriatric Services (SGS). In August 2020, members of the PGLO’s SGS Administrators Committee struck a task group to develop a virtual care toolkit. This resource is the outcome of this task group’s work.
The task group identified the need for evidence-based guidance to support clinical decision making regarding the use of virtual care strategies -specific to the domains of a Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment (CGA).
Decision making related to the use of virtual care, or what modality to use for a virtual visit, should take into consideration:
- The unique circumstances of each patient
- Clinical needs of the patient
- The appropriateness of virtual care for the clinical encounter
This resource aims to provide a structured approach to critical consideration of the above when determining the a best approach to a CGA, taking into account:
- The available evidence and learning related to virtual assessment of the CGA domains, as well as
- The potential positive and negative consequences that may result from both offering and not offering virtual CGA